Episode 106: My Top 10 Worst Coaching Mistakes and What to Do Instead
Whenever an event or a season is coming to a close, I like to think back and notice what went well, what didn't go so well, and what lessons have I learned. As I usually do around this time of year, I was recently reflecting on past seasons. I coached for about 15 years, and so, this time I actually decided to take my reflection all the way back and think about lessons I’ve learned throughout my time.
In this episode, I’ll be sharing with you my top ten mistakes I made as a new coach. We’ll dive into these coaching mistakes and talk about what coaches should do, what coaches should not do, and I’ll share a few leadership mistake examples. I was a very seasoned coach before I learned to take my own advice, so I hope hearing about my worst coaching mistakes helps spark some ideas for you. If you’d like to share your own lessons learned as a dance educator, I’d love to hear from you and put them together into an episode where I can share teaching and coaching lessons learned! Leave a voice note of your biggest lesson as a dance educator here: www.chelseapierotti.com/message.
Key Highlights –
- [1m 50s] – Number One: I Worried About What Others Thought
- [2m 57s] – Number Two: I Worried About What My Athletes Thought
- [4m 42s] – Number Three: I Thought I Didn’t Need Help and it Needed to be Perfect
- [6m 13s] – Number Four: I Didn’t Consider Long-Term Plans
- [7m 39s] – Number Five: I Assumed New Dancers Knew What They Were Doing
- [8m 48s] – Number Six: I Was Stuck in Tradition
- [10m 11s] – Number Seven: I Didn’t See the Importance of Taking a Break
- [11m 28s] – Number Eight: I Was My Own Worst Critic
- [12m 18s] – Number Nine: I Didn’t Have a Mentor
- [13m 09s] – Number Ten: I’d Define Success Externally Instead of Internally
Leave a voice note of your biggest lesson as a dance educator: www.chelseapierotti.com/message
Take the podcast quiz: www.chelseapierotti.com/podcastquiz
Episode 17: http://www.chelseapierotti.com/17
Episode 47: http://www.chelseapierotti.com/47
The Relevé Dance Coach Membership is there to replenish your personal, mental, and emotional energy and help you create dancers who are mentally tough, resilient, and motivated. Join the Relevé Membership here: www.chelseapierotti.com/membership
Be sure to visit me on Instagram @dr.chelsea.pierotti for more mental skills advice for dancers
Word of mouth is still the best way the show can grow! If you have a dance friend out there who you think would benefit, please share this episode with them!
Being a dance coach can seem daunting, but it’s easier when you know what to focus on. Take the quiz to pinpoint the areas where you could use a little clarity and leave with a curated podcast list so you know exactly where to focus your valuable time!