Episode 143: How Dancers Navigate Disappointment and Learn to Overcome
Disappointment is something we all have to go through, but we don't actually talk about how. We're just supposed to get over it and keep pushing forward. So how exactly do you deal with disappointment and continue pushing forward?
In today’s episode, I'll be speaking directly to the dancers, and we’ll be talking about how to deal with disappointment. Maybe you didn't get the role you wanted, you didn’t book the audition you were hoping for, or you're disappointed in how your solo scored last week. If you're a dancer, the likelihood is that you've had to wrestle with this negative emotion of being disappointed, so tune in to hear more about the six steps to dealing with disappointment. This way, the next time you need a little pick-me-up after a low score or you need help turning around a bad mood after a disappointing performance, you'll know exactly what to do!
Key Highlights –
- [1m 33s] – Everyone Deals With Disappointment
- [4m 52s] – Disappointment Leads to Rumination
- [6m 15s] – Dealing With Disappointment Takes a Conscious Effort
- [7m 15s] – First Step: Emotional Awareness
- [8m 07s] – Second Step: Accept It’s a Human Experience
- [8m 45s] – Third Step: Reframe The Experience
- [9m 21s] – Fourth Step: Change Your Self-Talk
- [10m 51s] – Fifth Step: Focus on a New Accomplishment
- [11m 38s] – Sixth Step: Reach Out For Help
- [12m 48s] – Disappointment Story From My Dance Life
Leave a voice note with any questions or comments for the podcast: www.chelseapierotti.com/message
The Relevé Dance Coach Membership is there to replenish your personal, mental, and emotional energy and help you create dancers who are mentally tough, resilient, and motivated. Join the Relevé Membership here: www.chelseapierotti.com/membership
Be sure to visit me on Instagram @dr.chelsea.pierotti for more mental skills advice for dancers
Word of mouth is still the best way the show can grow! If you have a dance friend out there who you think would benefit, please share this episode with them!