Every dance teacher wants to motivate their athletes to achieve their personal and team best. But how?
The short answer… you want a team full of self-motivated athletes. Easier said than done, but it is within your power as the teacher to make that happen!
In this episode talk all about motivation and answer the question, how do we get our dancers to be more motivated in class? How do we get a class full of dancers who want to keep trying, who push through when the combo is hard? How do we reach every dancer in class?
The episode explains the 3 basic needs of motivation: Autonomy, Competence, and Relatedness. If you can incorporate these 3 needs into your class, you’ll be able to motivate everyone!
If you have ever struggled to motivate your dancers, come over to instagram and DM me. I’d love to hear from you.
Here are some highlights:
- [2m 03s] Intrinsic Motivation vs. Extrinsic Motivation
- [6m 53s] Introduction to the concept of Psychological Basic Needs
- [8m 00s] Needs: Competence, Autonomy & Relatedness
- [10m 26s] Ways to increase motivation through autonomy
- [15m 44s] Ways to increase motivation through competence and relatedness
- [20m 42s] The Bottom Line
Want to grab my 15 ways to motivate your dancers cheat sheet? Click below.
This episode is brought to you by:
Links to things I think you might be interested in that were mentioned in the podcast episode:
- *A lot of the information in this episode comes from the book “Intrinsic Motivation and Self-Determination in Exercise and Sport” by Hagger & Chatzisarantis